I love Destin! Destin, Florida is all emerald waters, pristine white beaches and balmy breezes. One our favorite Florida family destination allows us to soak up the sun on its beaches as well as sample some of its local charm.
From its restaurants to it’s adventure park and water sports, Destin is by far one of my favorite summer destinations. But sometimes planning a week long beach getaway just isn’t in the cards, luckily for me it’s close enough I can pack my bags and enjoy the area for the weekend. Tourist flock to Destin year around, meander around the town, breathe the salty ocean air and enjoy the many of Destin’s travel hot spots.
New to Destin! Lucy Buffet: LuLu’s, one of the delicious eateries I was able to visit while in Destin, was founded by Gulf Coast sweetheart, Lucy Buffet. Tired of the plastic pace of Hollywood, where she’d moved after living her life in lower Alabama, “Lulu” yearned for the comfort of home away from a city where everything was about living a particular lifestyle. A passionate host and entertainer, like her brother Jimmy, Lulu moved to a beautiful spot on Weeks Bay and built LuLu’s Sunset Grill. You will not be disappointed!
Lulu’s today is the perfect family destination and boasts menu options like:
- Seafood baskets.
- Dairy Free.
- Shellfish Free.
- Soy Free.
- Egg Free.
Uncle Bucks Fishbowl and Grille: If you’re looking for a unique dining experience during your stay in Destin, Uncle Buck’s is certainly a stop to add on to your list. Geared towards family and fun, the grille is centered around an island theme with seating for 40 and offers visitors the opportunity to experience the feel of being underwater.
This place is so cool! Your friends and family will be so envious! Above the heads of their dinners, Uncle Buck’s Fishbowl and Grille offers a view of battered, barnacle, and coral-crusted wooden hull, an old rusted iron chain and the iron rail of the bow of the old sunken ship that is at the center of their design.
Menu options to choose from include:
- On the Nose Nachos
- Mozzarella Logs
- Fire Pit Burger
- BBQ Pork Blowout
- Fish Bowl Platter
- Fish Tacos
- St.Louis Ribs
Do not miss the opportunity to spend a few hours away from the beach and get up close and personal with with marine life! Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park is located on Forth Walton Beach, just east of the Brooks Bridge. The Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park is full of fun and adventure for all ages. My kids still talk about their visit several years ago and looking forward the newest addition, a new baby Dolphin that was recently added to the list of aquatic creatures who call the Gulfarium home. There are a number of animal encounters to experience while visiting the Adventure Park which include:
- Dolphin Splash Encounter that allows you to touch, play and learn about the Atlantic Bottle Nose Dolphins.
- Kids Safari where you get to meet colorful birds, rugged reptiles and plenty of fish.
- Discover Stingrays which allows you to marvel at the gentle aquatic creatures as they glide beneath your fingertips.
- Discover Gators which is home to the American Alligator.
- Discover Reptiles where you’ll meet several of the Gulfs cold blooded residents.
- Discover Turtles is home of a variety of fresh water turtles.
- Discover Penguins where you can pet and feed the African Penguins while learning about their origins.
- Stingray Bay Snorkel where you’re able to snorkel with both the Stingrays and Sharks!
- Discover Dolphins during your dockside encounter.
- Discover Seals and Sea Lions where The Gulfarium trainers will introduce you to gentle seals and spunky sea lions.
- Dolphin Doodle (begins November 1st) where you get to team up with one of the creative dolphin artists to create a one of a kind work of art.
- VIP Trainer where you get a hands on experience of what it takes to become a marine life trainer!
The weather in Destin is perfection almost entirely year around! The beach is just one of the reasons why you and your family should pack for a weekend getaway but keep in mind there is so much to do in Destin. Get away for a few days and recharge your beach batteries!